Turmeric Chai Spiced Donuts
The perfect way to bring in autumn is with these delicious Turmeric Chai Spiced Donuts by Made by Gem! Not only are they are tasty, cozy treat but they're also loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- 250ml almond milk
- 25g Prana Chai Turmeric Blend
- ¾ cup wholemeal flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- sprinkle of allspice
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- remaining chai milk
- cinnamon sticks (to top)
- cinnamon (to top)
HOW TO MAKE
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease a donut pan with cooking spray.
2. In a milk steamer, add Prana Chai + almond milk. Heat to approx 60ºC. Alternatively, in a small pot, heat Prana Chai + milk over medium high heat until just shy of boiling. Strain into bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl. Add the egg, vegetable oil, 3 tbsps of the chai infused milk, yoghurt, and vanilla. Refrigerate the remaining chai milk until ready to make the glaze. Stir the batter until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
4. Transfer the batter to a large zip lock bag and snip off one of the corners. Squeeze batter evenly into the donut pan.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until donuts are golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
6. Once the donuts are cool, prepare the glaze by adding icing sugar to a small bowl along with 2 tsps vanilla extract and 1 tbsp of the chai infused milk. Stir until smooth and shiny, adding a few drops of chai milk at a time until the desired consistency is reached. (You will probably not need all the chai milk).*If it gets too runny just add a little more powdered sugar.
7. Dip one side of the donuts in the glaze and return to the cooling rack to let it set. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon + add a cinnamon stick (if desired).