Chai Crepes with Salted Caramel Apples & Figs
Crepes are a real weekend treat and always symbolise a slow, relaxing morning. These crepes made by Krystle use the nutritious whole grain gluten free flours of buckwheat and brown rice.
"I love using figs for the filling while they're in season, but you could swap the apples and figs for caramelised bananas or pears if that’s what you have on hand. 💛"
- 1 heaped tbsp Prana Chai
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 free-range eggs
- ½ cup natural yoghurt (coconut or dairy)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- (optional: for extra chai spice, add ½ teaspoon each of cinnamon, ginger and cardamom)
Salted Caramel Apples & Figs:
- 2 apples
- 4 figs
- 2 tbsps. coconut oil or organic butter
- 2 heaped tbsps. coconut sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- Extra natural yoghurt and maple syrup (optional), to serve.
HOW TO MAKE
- Place the chai and boiling water into a teapot or small, lidded saucepan to brew for 5 minutes. Strain the chai and allow it to cool.
- Add all of the crepe ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside for at least half an hour to allow the yoghurt to create a slightly ‘sourdough’ flavour.
- Meanwhile, peel, core and slice the apples into thin pieces and cut each fig into 6 pieces.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan over medium-high heat and add half a tablespoon of coconut oil or organic butter to cover the base.
- Pour in half a cup of the crepe mixture and pick up the handle and move the pan around above the hotplate to spread the mixture evenly around the pan.
- Cook each crepe for a minute on each side (or until the bubbles have popped and it is nice and golden). Remove from the pan, place on a plate and pop into a ‘just warm’ oven. Repeat with the remaining crepe mixture.
- Once you’ve finished the crepes, heat a medium sized saucepan over medium heat and add the coconut oil or butter and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle the coconut sugar over the melted butter/oil and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the sliced apples and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat the apples in the caramel and cook for 5 minutes or until they have just softened and turned golden. Add the sliced figs, stir and then remove from the heat.
- Serve each crepe topped with natural yoghurt, salted caramel fruit and an extra drizzle of maple syrup if you please. Enjoy warm.