Carob Chai Date and Walnut Loaf
The perfect afternoon snack or breakfast on the go, Krystle Manning (Of Oat & Earth) shares her delicious Carob Chai Date and Walnut Loaf.
Makes 1 loaf:
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 heaped tbsp. Prana Chai Tea – masala blend
- 1 cup dates, roughly chopped
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup carob powder
- Sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 free-range eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsps. raw honey
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
HOW TO MAKE
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place water and chai tea in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a gentle boil. Turn off heat and allow to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the dates.
- Strain the tea and return it to the pan while still hot. Add the dates and cover with a lid. Allow to soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the walnuts on a small baking tray and place in the oven to toast lightly (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl: almond meal, brown rice flour, sea salt, carob powder and baking powder.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk the eggs, coconut oil, honey and apple cider vinegar. Add to dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Add soaked dates and toasted walnuts. Stir again.
- Pour into a lined loaf tin and top with a few extra chopped dates and walnuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until it bounces back when pressed in the centre. Cover with foil in the last 15 minutes or so if it is browning too much on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before slicing, buttering and devouring. This loaf is delicious fresh or toasted. Enjoy!