PANCAKES WITH CHAI SYRUP
1 1/2 cups chai infused milk
2 cups self-raising flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup caster sugar
25g butter, melted
Chai Poached Pears
1 litre water
1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
2 chai tea bags
1 cinnamon stick
3 cardamom pods, crushed
4 x medium pears, peeled
- Poach the pears: Place the water, sugar, tea bags, cinnamon and cardamom in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Remove the tea bags and add the pears. Cover with a piece of non-stick baking paper and top with a small plate or lid to weigh down the pears. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 35–40 minutes or until the pears are soft. Carefully remove the pears from the syrup, increase the heat to high and cook for 20–25 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- To make the pancakes; whisk milk, and egg together in a jug. Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in centre. Add milk mixture. Whisk until just combined.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Brush pan with butter.
- Using 1/4 cup mixture per pancake, cook 2 pancakes for 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles appear on surface. Turn and cook for 3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining mixture, brushing pan with butter between batches.
- Divide pancakes evenly on 4 plates, top with a pear and spoon the syrup over the pears to serve.
For more great recipes from Iron Chef Shellie, or to hire her for your food styling, photography or recipe development needs, go to www.ironchefshellie.com
Read the whole newsletter here...