A Cup of Tea with The Merrymaker Sisters
1) What gave you the inspiration to start The Merrymaker Sisters?
Flash back to mid-2012, we were sick of feeling sick, fed up with counting calories, beyond tired from the guilt we felt after eating, with low self-esteem and terribly confused as to why we felt this way. We were in this obsessive whirlwind of fad diets, quick fixes and negative body image. When we looked around this seemed completely normal, everyone was spinning. This unhealthy way of living needed to stop, so we searched for something that would work. REAL FOOD was our answer and the catalyst to creating The Merrymaker Sisters. Being the food lovers we always have been, we started to share photos of our healthy foodie creations to our personal social media accounts and our followers started to grow organically. We loved it so much and wanted a place to document all of our recipes and thoughts so we googled 'How to start a blog' (seriously!). We both studied and worked in the Communication industry and were passionate about health and happiness and so we began The Merrymaker Sisters - it was like two passions perfectly intertwined! Our overall mission for The Merrymaker Sisters is to create a healthy, happy, more magic filled world. We do that by creating a safe and fun community where everyone is welcome to come, learn and get inspired to make positive changes to their lives. We haven't looked back since starting our merrymaker journey in February 2013, and feel truly lucky to have found a career path that makes us happy and gives us a sense of fulfillment. We always say 'To Merrymake, is to follow your bliss, passion, dream' and that's exactly what we're doing.
2) You both lead very active, busy lives. What do you do to slow down? Do you have any daily rituals?
Oh yes! We try to live in 'calm intensity'. We get so excited about EVERYTHING so this mantra grounds us. We do lots of yoga, pilates and walking (at least one or two of those things every day!), so that definitely slows us down. Plus we try to meditate each day. We also have the morning ritual of coffee... doesn't reallllyyyy slow us down but it's a great way to start the day, settling in with a great cup of coffee or chai (our local uses PRANA actually!) and working out the day ahead!
3) Every time I see you both you always have a beaming smile. Where do you find your joy?
We always try to enjoy the journey. We honestly try to find joy in every situation. We are BLESSED to be alive and to be able to do every single thing... including the dishes, exercising, paying the bills etc. (aka the things we usually don't like doing). When you start to find joy everywhere, life gets so much better.
4) How do you strike a balance between being super strict on eating and enjoying some guilty pleasures?
We're pretty much no processed crap eating kinda girls! We find balance in the fact that we can make AMAZING healthy sweet treats and snacks that taste naughty, but totally ain't. We choose to eat foods that will nourish our bodies and make us feel our best. We're not super strict at all. We feel like we eat the most delicious, amazing diet EVER!
5) What are your top 3 tips for those wanting to lead a healthier, more relaxed lifestyle?
- Don't be intimidated by the 'no list' concentrate on what you can eat and filling your plate with good stuff.
- Try new food, recipes, websites, cook books, cooking styles and make the whole process fun and enjoyable.
- There isn't a one-size-fits-all when it comes to being healthy. Find what works for you and what makes you feel good!
6) Tell us about the first time you drank Prana Chai.
We drank it at the cafe BSKT here on the Gold Coast! We were in CHAI HEAVEN! So often cafes serve chai and it tastes like dish water. Prana most certainly does NOT! It was so creamy and SO delish!
7) How can Prana Chai devotees find out more about you?
Emma and Carla Papas, 'The Merrymaker Sisters' are passionate entrepreneurs, health and happiness advocates and health coaches. They reach over 200 000 people every month with real food recipes, positive mindset advice and ways to help you find and follow your bliss.
Throughout their merrymaking journey they've published the healthy cookbook Make It Merry, created Merrymaker Club, the online membership that makes healthy living fun and the #MerryBiz podcast where they inspire thousands to live their best life.